An office room can be made up of multiple parts and items will all need to be unpacked and placed in the right spot after moving. From computer cords and accessories to paper clips and pencils, unpacking an office may seem like a daunting task – but it doesn’t have to be!
- First, take stock of all of the items you have, and make sure that each item is necessary and will have a place to go. This is your chance to purge old or damaged supplies, or donate unused items.
- Next, plan out your office space. Before moving in desks and shelves, make sure you know where everything is going. Also, determine what drawers, shelves, and cupboards will store what items, what files and folders will go in what cabinet, and if any other shelving materials need to be purchased. This plan will help relieve a lot of stress when it comes time to put office supplies away!
- Once all of the furniture and larger pieces are put in place, it’s time to tackle the electronics. Computers can have a lot of attachments and wires, so don’t rush this step. Make sure everything is connected properly, and that cables are kept neat and organized to prevent anything from catching on them. Other electronics like a phone, printer, and lamp, can also be set up.
- Start unpacking your office supplies with the frequently used items first, like pens, pencils, paper, and calendar. Use drawer organizers to help keep all your office supplies organized. Try to tackle only one box at a time – don’t get overwhelmed!
- Filing cabinets and bookcases can then be unpacked, because the items typically aren’t needed right away. Any paper weights or office decorations can be added too, but remember, try to keep the decorations to a minimum, because a lot of them only invite more clutter into your space.
Creating a plan for your office space, and knowing what items need to go where before you start unpacking your boxes will make unpacking into an organized space a lot more feasible. There are a lot of different components that go into an office, so unpack step by step until the space is complete!
Moving Tip - label your electronic cords Before you take them apart. It will help you know what cord goes with each device!