There is always a lot going on during a move. Viewing new home listings, filling out paperwork, packing and unpacking boxes – it’s important to stay organized and on top of every task you need to complete.
Here’s a list of five different ways you can accomplish more organization:
1. Create a moving notebook or planner: Write down everything that needs to be done, and schedule it for a certain day. Keep track of all of the viewings, meetings, and showings that you need to go to, and set aside time for packing and unpacking.
2. Colour coordinate and label all boxes: Make sure that each box is clearly labelled with what is inside and where it needs to go. Using coloured labels for each room in the house makes it easier for yourself and others to unpack boxes in the right place. Have a plan.
3. Pack all essentials last: Create a first night box for your first night in your new home. You don’t want to have to dig through piles of boxes to find your toothbrush, so pack all of the necessary items that you’ll need to use right away in your first night box, so they will easily identified and the first thing that gets unpacked once you move in. This will save the frantic searching through every box the next day.
4. Use wardrobe boxes- no need to fold and put away clothes. Keep them on hangers and transport them in wardrobe boxes. Easy to use and easy to unpack and organize. Be sure to fill the bottom with shoes or other heavier items.
5. Donate unneeded and unwanted items: Moving is the perfect opportunity to sort, purge and eliminate belongings you haven’t used in years saving you time and money. Don’t wait to moving day. Plan ahead, purge, sort and plan. Come moving day, you will be happy you did.