Summer is here, and that means getting the most out of whatever outdoor space you have. In Calgary, our summer is typically limited to two months, and even then, those two months aren’t guaranteed. It’s important to keep this in mind when decorating an outdoor space because some ideas, while they might look or sound like a good idea, might not work with the weather we can experience here in the city.
- Establish what space there is, and what it will be used for. If the space is tiny, figure out what kind of space you want to have. A place to relax? Cook and eat food? This will help prioritize what key furniture items will be needed and where they should go. If the space is larger and can have multiple areas for cooking and relaxing, plan out what area functions best for each activity. For example, having a barbeque and eating area closer to the house is more practical because it has closer access to the kitchen inside. Also, when setting up an entertainment set, it might be best to put it in a way that either doesn’t or does get sun, depending on your preference.
- Keep the basic furniture pieces and paint (if used) neutral or monochromatic. This way, when the items fade or become weathered, it won’t be as noticeable.
- Make accessories and accent pieces colourful. Cushions, curtains, pillows, and table cloths typically wear out faster, so go all out with bold colours or prints, and if they fade or get old, they can easily be replaced.
- Buy weather resistant cushions and decorations because Calgary is notorious for summer storms. Whether cushions are left out in the rain or the sun, having a waterproof and sun proof material means you don’t have to worry about replacing them as often. Furniture like couches or chairs with built in storage is also a great option for storing cushions and pillows if they are not weather resistant.
- Utilize wall space. This advice not only works in homes, but works outdoors as well. Most backyards and patios or decks offer wall or fence space that can be used to your advantage. Shelves or cupboards can be put up, or décor accents like outdoor art pieces, hanging flower pots, and light fixtures can be added for decoration and storage options.
Ultimately, what matters is that you create a space that you can use and enjoy! [INSERT TWEET THIS LINK]